Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ocean dwellers really are the strangest creatures ever created. I imagine God sitting in his drawing room, sketching out some new characters. The lines on the paper come together to reveal something fantastic. Something almost otherworldly. A little dragon for the miniature mermaids.


I had never seen nor heard of a sea dragon until last Saturday, when I practically stuck my nose to the glass of the inhabitant's dwelling. What an odd and wonderful thing! It even has tiny dragon wings.

Luc and I visited Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN last Saturday. Not only did I discover the sea dragon, I also got to be up close and personal with various sharks. Okay, I wasn't nose to nose with Jaws, but a saw fish swimming only a few feet above me with only a piece of glass between us is close enough for me.



I'm mesmerized by the fluidity and grace of the jellyfish. They're beautiful to watch, but I can only assume the sting isn't so sweet.

There were even kiddos housed inside the aquarium. The baby jellyfish were labeled, "Babies Without Brains."

Super duper cutie seahorses! A few of them have their tails wrapped around the tiny sticks. Go to my flickr to see up close.

Ahh yes, it was a fun learning experience, and I highly recommend finding a sea dragon of your own :)

And now, completely off topic, here is my latest collage on watercolor paper. The border on the bottom is so random. It adds that certain strangeness my soul must have. I plan on using the dress form again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are stunning, and I also like the artwork. If you enjoyed Ripley's, you will love, love, LOVE the aquarium in Chattanooga.

Anonymous said...

Maybe your art isn't so random here... the dress form looks a little like the sea horses just above it. It even has wings like the sea dragon..

Gorgeous photos, indeed. I have yet to go to the Ripley's aquarium, but yes... DO go to Chattanooga's!

Annie Spandex said...

The seahorses are so cute!

queengilda said...

WHOAH did you take those photos? absolutely amazing colours!! and nice work with watercolours too!

Cynthia said...

VEry pretty, I love collage and have only started to dabble in
this delcious menage trois art
of paper, scissors and glue
this year.

Hmmm... I'm obsessed with Ophelia,
and your site is most gratifying,
can't believe I've just stumbled
across this Ophelia Blooming.

I enjoy posting Ophelia poems written by other poets, and myself.

These poems are two lines,
seven to seventeen words, with a
sense of melancholy, surreal,
romance, erotic, death, love,
any or more of the above, please
email me if you would like to have
a poem or more of yours posted,
there will be another Ophelia
week in late October.