Friday, June 27, 2008


Contemptuous

My iGoogle daily literary quote is from Ezra Pound - one whom I have had a love and loathe relationship with since college.

"It ought to be illegal for an artist to marry. If the artist must marry let him find someone more interested in art, or his art, or the artist part of him, than in him. After which let them take tea together three times a week."

Or

Worship me and/or be less of an artist than I so that I may mold you and then, when my work is done, leave you squirming in the dirt of my passé ideas.

Perhaps I judge too harshly. I have only read things from, mostly, Hilda Doolittle's point of view. I think I identify with her too much to give Ezra any sort of credit. And yet, still, I find him to be most intriguing as you would find a poet, dark romantic soul, treat-you-like-dirt, but charming bad boy to be.




No comments: