Saturday, February 28, 2009



I love being able to stop and see. Everything. All the details we're too busy to notice when we're in our heels click-clacking across corporate floors, answering telephones, doing laundry. But today I went to my creative space and lay on the floor and saw the bottom of a mosaic plate illuminated by a cluster of candles sitting on top. I thought, wow. The world's beauty is in soap bubbles, little specks of dust, galaxy shards, tiny things swept under the rugs that we stomp on day after day because we're too busy to notice small treasures. That's what I hate about life. That even when I'm not busy, I'm busy. The busy ghost presses his hands into my back and pushes me one way or the other to do this or that. I want to stop to see, to think, to breathe. I want to put my ear to the soil and listen for the ants. I want to daydream, fly a kite, run my hands through thick, green grass. But there's so much noise. So much pushing. I enjoy hearing nothing but the tick-tock of the clock. That and the sound of my heart, which tells me that, yes, I am still alive. Not a zombie, not a robot, not a girl caged between fluorescent lit walls.

5 comments:

Linda Love said...

i guess beeing able to notice the beautiful, small things in this world is something we have to defend each day against our daily routine.
i enjoy reading your blog a lot!
linda

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful post. So much poetry there! Love, Ingrid

Caroline Cakewise said...

This is truth, perfectly put - even when I'm not working or rushing somewhere, I'm procrastinating or wasting time rather than just relaxing and letting go. :) Thank you for this. xx

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful and so true, i was today enjoying looking at the tiny fruiting bodies of mosses on a wall as well as spending time watching the rather larger heron in the river

manzANA said...

I know what you mean. I work horrible hours. Today i took the day off, it feels like the first day of summer. I like to just drive around with the windows open and enjoy it.